Monday, May 20, 2013

Diary Entrys

As a black male that has never voted before, Johnson's Great Society has made a real impact on my life. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 made so that I can vote without having to take a literacy test or any other voter qualification tests. I think it was great what happened with the Civil Rights Act of 1968, banning housing discrimination and extended constitutional protections to Native Americans on reservations. After the great society there was federal funding for cultural centers which have made my community much more welcoming. 

President Johnson's Elementary and Secondary  Education Act has made a real difference in my children's education. I am a single mother with 3 young children and it is relieving to know that my children are learning while I have to work. The act provided schools with significant federal funding. The funding is used for buying materials  and start special education programs to schools with a high concentration of low-income children. The Act established Head Start, which had originally been started by the Office of Economic Opportunity as an eight-week summer program, as a permanent program.

 As a strong environmental advicate, I was very pleased to see President Johnson's determination to keep our environment clean and safe. The main contribution to the environment was aimed at the conservation of untouched resources. Just a few of acts that were passed were the Wilderness Act, Land and Water Conservation Act, Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Control Act, and the National Trails System Act. 

No comments:

Post a Comment